Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Exercising the Pilates Way.

Picture of Joseph Pilates at around age 50!


Pilates Has been around in the United states since 1926. Joseph Pilates moved to New York City in 1926 and opened a studio. It seemed to be a exercise for the actors and dancers. Movie choreographers embraced his matwork exercise,which he called "The Art of Contrology". His style of exercise was very helpful for posture and flexibility. When a lay person first heard of Pilates it was associated with a machine. The kind in Health clubs, too expensive for the common person. Over the years pilates has become more reachable for the common person. Nowadays one can get a machine that is portable! Bringing the Pilates into your own home.

It is not the machine I wish to write about, rather the Matwork. There are 34 original exercises. I have several DVDs and a book called the Pilates Directory. I find the floor exercise to be very good. If you are limited to certain types of exercises , Pilates offers a Very Low impact routine. It is my mode of choice nowadays. I was born with Scoliosis (Curvature of the spine). Because of this condition it is hard for me to do some exercises, my spine is not that limber! I found that when I did Pilates the back did not hurt and I had no aches after a 30-45 minute workout. Pilates main work is to develop a strong center core. Working these muscles help your posture , strengthening the back, and keeping the organs in place. Believe it or not you also loose fat cells, by breath control while preforming the exercise.
Pilates lived til he was 87 years old. Joseph trained several people who carry on his work. And with today technology there is no reason not to try Pilates in your own homes. With in 10 sessions you will feel the difference, by 20 you will notice a change and in 30 you will have a new look!
Run to the store, the Library, or check the internet for DVDs to try out Pilates. Happy Exercising to the New Fit You.

1 comment:

  1. I need to get back in shape, I've gained a lot weight last yr..;) come visit my blogs soon ;)

    ReplyDelete