Thursday, August 13, 2009

Here it is...The rest of the story.

As I was Walking along in Colorado I saw it. At First a thought it was the largest Frog I have ever seen! Ah But no It did not move and Hubby said it was Yes a Mushroom. Now I had to find out what kind. I believe it is a Shingled Hedgehog mushroom from the Sarcodon Imbricatus family.
they are indigenous to Colorado. here are some fact from Colorado Mushrooms


Location: Colorado
Habitat: Sarcodon Imbricatus grows at higher elevations in coniferous woods. It is very common in Colorado.
Smell: Mushroomy
Spore Print: Brown
Edibility: Edible
Color: Brown
Description:
Also known as Hydnum imbricatum. This is a good mushroom for beginners as nothing looks quite like it and its easy to distingish. There are no known poisonous look alikes. Edibility is best in younger specimens. Tastes very mushroomy with a slight bitterness. They tend to get infested with bugs rather quickly after fruiting. Very similiar to Sarcodon Imbricatum.

So, Yes I think I will be a beginner and start learning about Mushrooms. We went to the County fair Last night , the 4H had a ribbon section on Mushrooms. Now I am interested in joining Morel Mushroom Hunting Club. There are groups all throughout the world -Even one in Maryland, Now see what one mushroom find did to me! You got to go to the Morel site and view the Mushroom addict Comedy Movie Trailor (link). It is so hilarious.

1 comment: